Welcome to the CADSTARguys Blog - Information, hints, tips and my waffle on the CADSTAR Printed Circuit Board design suite.

Please note that all names used are completely fictitious and any thing written is my own personal opinion or knowledge and not related in any way to either my employers or their customers (or Zuken).
Also this is not a replacement for proper Maintenence/support and you should read the help files before asking anything techy:).

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Using zoned drawings and signal reference hyperlinks

One of the little known features to come into CADSTAR in recent versions is the ability to identify from a pair of signal reference symbols where the each corresponding reference is.

Although only a small thing, this does make it a lot easier to work with diagrams that have lots of signal references shooting off to various parts of other sheets in your drawing set.

Prior to this we would have to put text to identify where you can find the other part of the signal, well now
we have a link that you can click on and it will take the screen to centre in on the other part of the signal.

An Example link

This also works with multiple signal references to the same net, as you get a list and can then choose which link to follow.



However, (That's a fancy term for "but" - there is always one) you need to setup your CADSTAR system and the way that you draw your schematics correctly to be able to use this feature.

I started thinking how to setup to use them but every time I started to write to do something I thought I'd best explain how to do that too I.E. there is no point in me telling you to rotate something if I do not tell you how to rotate it first.

So here is a series of posts that explain the way that I would setup my CADSTAR system so that I can use the links along with lots of other information along the way.

To start with we need some document symbols, then creating a template for future schematics with zone settings in, then some signal references and finally how to use all of the above.

Read on, if you have any questions please feel free to ask at the end in case I answer it in one of the forthcoming posts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment